The London-based law firm of Mishcon de Reya uses the tagline “Its business. But it’s personal.” That about sums it up for a 76-year-old law firm giving the same high quality service to individuals as it does to its commercial clients. The firm’s 300 lawyers and 200 support staff make it one of the larger firms in the UK; a firm with a clear international reach.
Mishcon de Reya’s main office is in London, while a secondary office exists in New York. Between the two offices, the firm represents clients around the world, often working in partnership with other law firms in specific locales. Regardless of the type of legal advice one needs, Mishcon de Reya offers it with an entrepreneurial spirit designed to make sure the goals of clients are always achieved.
History of the Firm
Victor Mishcon opened his law firm in 1937 under the name Victor Mishcon & Company, setting up in a small office in the Brixton. Over the next 23 years, he and his steadily growing team focused on London’s businesses and private individuals to offer them affordable and effective legal advice. By 1961, the firm was ready to open a second office with 15 additional employees.
In 1988, the firm merged with Bartletts de Reya to form the company we know today. Staff numbering 80 at the time of the merger has now grown to 500. Yet the company’s size does not prevent them from offering personalized service built on trust, integrity, and sound legal advice. Their commitment to clients is demonstrated in two awards the firm won in 2012: Law Firm of the Year and Real Estate Team of the Year.
Areas of Practice
In terms of the firm’s areas of practice, there are literally dozens of them. For the convenience of customers, they categorise their services under five main categories: corporate, employment, real estate, private, and dispute resolution. Within each of these categories, there are dozens of specific services offered. Details can be found on the Mishcon de Reya website.
- Mishcon Corporate – The Mishcon de Reya corporate team is headed by partner Nick Davis. It handles just about every area of corporate law with a special emphasis on finances. The team works on cases ranging from mergers and acquisitions to insolvency to corporate taxation. Mishcon de Reya is also one of the few firms with a reputation for expertise in intellectual property rights.
- Mishcon Employment – Partner Joanna Blackburn guides the employment law team with an eye on risk management. Mishcon de Reya understands that employment disputes are becoming more and more common in the UK along with the unfortunate perception that businesses are an untapped pot of gold. They work with companies regarding all sorts of issues like employee termination, redundancy, bonus disputes, and discrimination claims.
- Mishcon Real Estate – As the top real estate firm in the UK for 2012, Mishcon de Reya takes great pride in its expertise and service in this area. They keep an eye on real estate trends and markets as a means of identifying great investment opportunities for their commercial clients. On behalf of individuals, the team is available to help with buying and selling, leasing, and common conveyancing.
- Mishcon Private – The private services division, headed by partner James Libson, offers standard things like family law (separation, divorce, prenups, child custody), tax and estate planning, etc. However, they also include some niche areas of practice you will not find with other firms. For example, art collectors can use the firm for advice in building, maintaining, and protecting a valuable art collection. Other specialist areas include fraud defence, reputation protection, and public advocacy.
- Mishcon Dispute Resolution – Mishcon de Reya recognises that as an economy weakens the number of disputes among businesses and individuals increases proportionally. That is why the UK legal system has seemed a drastic increase in dispute resolution services over the past few years. For both commercial and individual clients the firm’s approach is simple: present the facts, explain the options, and provide dispassionate advice with the intent to settle the dispute as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
Contacting Mishcon de Reya
Mishcon de Reya is a different kind of law firm in many ways. If you feel they are right for you, contacting them is fairly easy. By following the “contact” link on their website, you can use their online enquiry form; it takes just a minute or so to complete and submit. Alternatively, the firm invites you to call them using the phone number provided on their contact page. Should you decide to visit them in person we have listed their London address below.
For quality legal advice from a team committed to helping you achieve your goals, contact Mishcon de Reya at your earliest convenience. If your case involves multinational cross-border issues, the London office will work with its New York counterparts or other law firms, as needed, to assist you.
Mishcon de Reya
12 Red Lion Square
London, WC1R 4QD
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7440 7000
Fax: +44 (0)20 7404 5982